Are you looking for a quick and easy-to-style fashion accessory? If yes, you should try on a bandana. It is available in various sizes, colors, materials, and designs. While most people wear it around their head and neck, you can also try it on like a shirt or a bracelet. What’s best is that it is very affordable. Depending on the size and material, a bandana can range from anywhere between $1 and $100. Moreover, it never goes out of style. From Jenna Ortega sporting a black bandana around her neck to Bella Hadid wearing a pink one as a top, it’s clear that this accessory is always in fashion. If you want to experiment with different styles with a bandana, we can help you. In this post, we’ll show you how to wear a bandana in 12 different ways to suit any occasion.
So, grab on your bandana, and let’s get started!
What Is A Bandana?
A bandana is a square piece of cloth that you can wear in different ways. The most common way to style a bandana is to wear it as a headband, but you can also try it on like a scarf, shirt, bracelet, hairband, or neckerchief.
This accessory is not just stylish but also highly practical and functional. For example, when you wear it on your head, it keeps your hair away from your face and offers protection against dust, wind and pollution.
Mostly, bandanas are made out of cotton fabric, but you can also find them in other materials like silk. The one feature that makes bandanas stand out is their unique and intricate paisley pattern. However, you can also find them in modern and printed designs and logos.
History and Origin of Bandana
Bandana first came into fashion during the Civil War and then in 1921 when coal miners went on strike in West Virginia. The workers used to wear a red bandana around their neck to showcase their unity and fight for better working conditions.
Women started wearing bandanas during World War ll. They used to tie their hair back while working in American factories. Soon, bandanas became more popular with the advent of rock music and hippie culture in America.
How to Wear A Bandana: Step-by-Step Guide
While it is quite easy to wear a bandana on the head, many people don’t really know how to wear it in different styles. So, here we are, ready to help you. Today, we’ll show you how to wear a bandana in 12 different ways:
1. As A Headband
One of the most common and easiest ways to wear a bandana is like a headband. This style is pretty common among both men and women and gives you that edgy and cool street-style look. If you are wondering how to wear a bandana as a headband, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Lay the bandana flat on a table.
- Step 2: Fold it diagonally to make a triangle shape out of it.
- Step 3: Now, hold it by opposite ends and tie them at the back of your head.
- Step 4: Adjust the bandana on your forehead.
- Step 5: Tuck the other end at the back of your head into the knot.
- Step 6: Here you go! Slay like a rock star with this look.
If you don’t want to cover your entire head with a bandana, you can try another headband look. Here are the steps you need to follow for a folded headband-like look:
- Step 1: Lay the bandana flat and fold it diagonally.
- Step 2: Depending on the size of the band you want, keep folding it.
- Step 3: Once the bandana is in a band-like shape, tie it around your head.
- Step 4: You can keep the knotted part on top for a cute and chic look.
- Step 5: Similarly, you can keep the band part on top and put the knot behind.
2. As A Choker Necklace
Another great way to style a bandana is like a choker. It is a fun way to add an extra pop of color to your outfit. You can use a bandana in different colors or patterns to match your complete look. Follow these steps if you want to know how to tie a bandana around your neck like a choker:
- Step 1: Keep the bandana flat and iron it to remove creases.
- Step 2: Fold it diagonally to make a triangle shape.
- Step 3: Keep folding it downwards till you reach the end.
- Step 4: Make sure you fold it correctly in a symmetrical manner.
- Step 5: Now put it around your neck in a way that the ends are facing downwards.
- Step 6: Take both ends and tie a knot at the front of your neck.
- Step 7: Now adjust the knot to give it a perfect choker-like look.
- Step 8: You can put the knot at the back, tuck it inside your shirt or even leave it in the front.
3. Like A Shirt
You can also wear a bandana like a shirt to get the perfect summer-style look. However, make sure you choose one that’s big in size. Here are the steps on how to wear a bandana like a shirt:
- Step 1: Make a triangle shape with the bandana.
- Step 2: Now put it on your body in a way that the two ends meet at the back, and the single end is facing downward towards the floor.
- Step 3: Secure the two ends at the back with a knot or use a safety pin.
- Step 4: Adjust the top around and make sure it fits perfectly.
This is one of the easiest ways to wear a bandana like a shirt. However, you can also try other styles where the knot is in the front. Apart from that, you can also wear it diagonally or around your neck.
4. As A Hat Accessory
If you want to add a fresh new twist to your hat, you can pair it with a bandana. This is probably one of the easiest ways to wear it, as you simply accessorize the hat. Here are the steps you need to follow to learn how to wear a bandana like a hat accessory.
- Step 1: Choose a hat, i.e., cowboy hat, bucket hat, sun hat, etc.
- Step 2: Now fold the bandana to make a triangle.
- Step 3: Decide on the width and keep folding it until you reach the end.
- Step 4: Once you get the belt-like shape, tie it around the hat.
- Step 5: You may need someone to hold the hat while you secure the bandana around with a knot.
- Step 6: Once it is done, adjust the bandana around the hat.
- Step 7: Make sure you let the ends of the knot hang down to create a stylish effect.
5. As A Belt
You can also try on a bandana like a belt, especially if you are wearing a crop top with your jeans. It is the perfect street-style look and can really bring out your overall outfit. Here are the steps you need to follow to know how to wear a bandana like a belt:
- Step 1: Fold the bandana diagonally to get a belt shape.
- Step 2: Now put it inside the belt loops like you do with a belt.
- Step 3: Secure the ends on the side with a knot.
You can also try another look with a bandana by keeping the knot on the front and leaving the ends down.
6. Attached To Your Jeans
One way to wear a bandana attached to your jeans is like a belt, but there are many other styles to try. Instead of practically using it like a belt, you can simply attach it to your jeans. If you want to know how to wear a bandana attached to your jeans, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Take a small size bandana.
- Step 2: Fold it like a belt.
- Step 3: Put it inside the single belt loop of your jeans on the side.
- Step 4: Tie a knot and open the folded edges to get a flowy look.
Here’s another look you can try when pairing a bandana with your jeans. While this style is mostly for men, women can also rock it for a cool and carefree look. Follow these steps:
- Step 1: Fold the bandana diagonally.
- Step 2: Now tie it on your pant leg just above your kneecap.
- Step 3: Keep the flat part on the front and tuck the knot at the backside.
7. As A Hair Tie
It is very common for women to forget their hair ties at home. If you are someone who faces this problem, a bandana can come in handy. You can transform this accessory into a hairband and use it to pull your hand in a ponytail. Follow these steps if you want to know how tie a bandana around your hair:
- Step 1: Take a cotton bandana as it stays on, unlike a silk one.
- Step 2: Make a diagonal fold.
- Step 3: Keep folding to get a hairband shape.
- Step 4: Pull your hair back and tie it around.
- Step 5: You can try different types of knots for varying looks.
- Step 6: Open the folded ends after the knot to create a flowy effect.
8. As A Beach Cover-Up
If you are going to the beach, a bandana can come in handy. You can use it as a beach cover-up in different ways. Follow these steps to use it for your beach look:
- Step 1: Choose a large bandana.
- Step 2: Make a triangle shape by folding it diagonally.
- Step 3: Wrap it around your waist and tie a knot on the side.
9. As A Pocket Square
You can also wear a bandana like a pocket square. It is best to choose a silk bandana for this look. Here are the steps you need to follow to learn how to wear a bandana like a pocket square:
- Step 1: Take a small square bandana.
- Step 2: Fold it into a small rectangle shape according to your pocket size.
- Step 3: Now, keep it inside the top front pocket.
- Step 4: Pull the top part of the bandana so that it is visible.
Apart from this, you can create different shapes with the bandana to wear, like a pocket square. You can go with a triangle shape or a messy top to experiment with different styles.
10. As A Bracelet
If you love wearing bracelets, one cost-effective way is to use a bandana. The vibrant colors and intricate patterns make it a great accessory for a bracelet. Here are some steps on how to wear a bandana as a bracelet:
- Step 1: Fold the bandana and create a belt shape.
- Step 2: Tie it around your hand with a knot or simply tuck the ends in.
- Step 3: Adjust the shape to get a clean or messy look.
This is one of the simplest ways to wear it like a bracelet. If you want a cleaner look, you can fold the bandana into a tight rope-like shape and then tie it around your wrist.
11. As A Neckerchief
You can also wear a bandana like a neckerchief for a cool and casual look. It is different from choker-style as we are going to leave it loose around the neck. Follow these steps if you want to know how to wear a bandana as a neckerchief:
- Step 1: Make a triangle with the bandana by folding it into half.
- Step 2: Now, put the wider side on the front of your neck and tie the ends behind.
- Step 3: Make sure the triangle shape is facing downward.
- Step 4: Now adjust the bandana around your neck.
- Step 5: You can tuck the triangle inside your shirt or keep it out.
Moreover, you can also fold the bandana and wear it with the knot in the front or tie it on the side.
12. As A Turban
You can use a bandana similar to a turban if you wish to hide your head or preserve your hair for cultural reasons. You must wrap it around your entire head with a large bandana. Here are the steps on how to style a bandana like a turban:
- Step 1: First, iron the bandana after placing it flat.
- Step 2: Fold it diagonally in half.
- Step 3: Place the bandana around your head, with the ends facing the front.
- Step 4: Secure the front with a knot.
- Step 5: Now grab the ends and tuck them inside the nape of your neck.
- Step 6: Wrap the tangle end around the knot you tied at the front of your head as it is on the front.
- Step 7: Adjust the volume of the knot to get the perfect turban shape.
Bandanas can be good for your hair as they offer protection against pollution and dirt.
Many people think bandanas aren’t appropriate for many countries, but it’s fine to wear them for style and practical reasons
You can wrap a tiny bandana around your knee and fasten it over your jeans. Additionally, you can wear it with your jeans as a belt.
This brings our guide on how to wear a bandana in 12 different ways to an end. We really hope you like our suggestions. Now, you can easily put your bandana to good use by trying on these options.
You can choose from any of these styles depending on the occasion and event. It is one of the most affordable accessories that you can wear almost anywhere – be it music festivals like Coachella, shopping sprees, or beach outings.